Welcome to the spoilers section. This is not meant to be a well-written post or review, this is just a bunch of jotted down nitpicks of mine from watching the film. For the actual review, click here.
So let’s sit down and gush/criticize what we saw, shall we?
- So right off the bat, of course we’ve got to talk about Yondu’s death in the film. Man oh man was that an emotional moment. I’m sure for Walking Dead fans it was even bigger, but for me it sucked really hard too, after all Yondu had finally just redeemed himself. And of course he had to make it even harder when he tells Peter that while he isn’t his biological father, he always did look at Peter like he was his son. A great moment that became even more emotional when you realized that Yondu’s time in this cinematic universe had come to an end. Chris Pratt sold this scene extremely well too.
- Speaking of Chris Pratt selling, holy fuck that moment Ego reveals to Peter than he put the tumor in his mother’s brain that caused her to die of brain cancer! I thought it was going to be a long-winded emotional scream and technically it still was, but it followed an immediate reaction of shooting the fuck out of Ego! That was such a great moment, they handled the gravity of that revelation so well!
- I like how they did work the original Guardians of the Galaxy into the film with Stallone, Ving Rhames and others. Now I didn’t know that there was an original Guardians group, but when that was brought to my attention, I thought that was really cool.
- Again, I don’t know much about the lore of this section of the Marvel universe, but I do like how the Sovereign were used very well as the side villains who will now give birth to Adam Warlock, a powerful character in the Marvel universe, at least that’s what I’m told.
- I knew pretty much right away that Ego was going to be the villain, I’m sure that’s not a surprising thing to say, after all who really thought that the Sovereign and Ayesha were going to be the final boss? A race of golden people or a fucking god? That was pretty easy to figure out. But regardless the film did a good job of the early stages with Ego, making him truly look like a father figure to Peter. The catch scene was so cheesy, I loved it.
- Holy hell, man…the grotesqueness of this film was very unexpected. I’m not sure what was more shocking, Ego slowly regenerating or the space pirate slowly dying after being released out of the airlock. Both were terrifying to look at.
- Taserface. That is all.
- Lastly, can we please keep Moody Teenager Groot for the third film. I have to see this at least for part of the film!
Thanks for checking out the spoilers section, I would’ve loved to have written more for you guys, but honestly I don’t know enough of the Guardians lore and the Marvel universe lore to really go super in-depth with this one, so all I could really do is stick to what I saw in the movie. I’m sure in the next little while we’ll get that flood of articles with secret messages and hidden easter eggs in the film that unknowing viewers like myself would never catch.
Hope you guys enjoyed the film as much as I did, don’t forget to post your comments on the film’s spoilers and stuff in the comments below!