Week # 5 has arrived with the 2018 summer anime season. What’s in store this week?!
Just like every week, I’ll be watching my selected shows for the season and giving my brief feelings on the episode, along with things I liked and things I didn’t like. So let’s get a’watchin’!
***WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW!!!***
- This is getting really dumb. Maiko literally refuses to participate in training because she can’t bear to wear the swimsuit. And Makoto apparently can’t hold her breath long. Yet she survived that training drill?!
- Ohhh…childhood trauma when she nearly drowned one time. THEN WHY IS SHE TRYING TO BE A SPACE FISHER?!!!
- Ugh…the sexist bullshit again. This episode is trying really hard to make me want to drop it without a warning.
- More sexism. Makoto wanted to follow in her father’s footsteps and become a swordsmith, but women can’t according to him.
- This has been a terrible first half. This show has less than 10 minutes to recover, or it’s gone.
- I think I’m so annoyed that I’m cherry picking everything now. Like Ruby constantly calling things “fuper sun”.
- It’s really obviously that swordsmith store was a picture they put into a Photoshop filter. That was not drawn.
- WHY IS THE TRAINING CENTER NOT BUILT IN CASE THE WATER RISES LIKE THAT?!!!
- …Okay, they actually fooled me with Rika being a trap.
- But it’s not enough. The frustration these past few episodes have done, it’s not acceptable. The really terrible “conflicts”, the forced fights between Namino and everyone, the terrible Ruby puns, it’s all adding up and no amount of Makoto bathing is going to solve it. Originally I was going to put this show on notice first, but two terrible episodes in a row and only adding more problems onto the list of things I didn’t like already, it’s just too much. I like the voice acting a lot (except Ruby), but man this show is so full of holes that swiss cheese doesn’t look that bad.
Interest – 2/5 | Writing – 1/5 | Design – 3/5 | Comedy – 1/5 | Ecchi – 5/5 (only because of Makoto)
OVERALL SCORE: F (48%) ***DROPPED***
- The “spell with deep love” stuff is boring and overdone.
- Even the spiders are adorable…
- So are we to assume that black-haired banished fairy is the Princess’ father?
- I’m really sad that this is likely the last time we see these characters. C’mon, at least bring Meneraiah along!
Interest – 4/5 | Writing – 4/5 | Design – 5/5 | Comedy – 4/5 | Cuteness – 5/5
OVERALL SCORE: A (88%)
- The new girl, the voice actress. She adds nothing except being crazy too.
- Mai’s suspicious. Of course she is, all it takes is usage of 1% of your brain to figure out something’s amiss.
- The swimsuit contest went terribly. Mai wins basically because Suzuka looked meh, Sakura looked like trash and Ahegao didn’t even fucking try.
- The longer this show goes, the more I wonder how much longer until Suzuka just loses it and jumps into his bed at night.
Interest – 3/5 | Writing – 3/5 | Design – 4/5 | Comedy – 2/5 | Ecchi – 4/5
OVERALL SCORE: C (64%)
- So the Macho Man Randy Savage finally exists in anime form, eh?
- The hell is with the crazy debt from the start? Am I playing Animal Crossing again?!
- Okay seriously, what the fuck is with all this money costing shit?
- Oh. So they have massive political and military standing. That works.
Interest – 4/5 | Writing – 3/5 | Design – 5/5 | Comedy – 3/5 | Action – N/A
OVERALL SCORE: B (75%)
- I’m finding it ironic that the girl who Sakuta ended up kicking the butt of, the show is clearly showing us she has a really nice butt.
- Tomoe is really frustrating. The whole “I need to be fully involved at all times so no one hates me” kind of girl is really irritating.
- I’m shocked Sakuta could fight that jock.
- Is it any surprise Tomoe is falling for Sakuta now? There isn’t enough heavy drama obviously, so now we need potential love triangles and ideas of cheating! *sarcasm*
Interest – 5/5 | Writing – 4/5 | Design – 4/5 | Comedy – 4/5 | Mystery – 5/5
OVERALL SCORE: A (88%)
- Just a quick thought here. I’m going to take this off the weekly list, not because it’s bad, in fact I still really like the show. But like a lot of shorts, I’m running out of things to say with the show and there really wasn’t anything this week that I felt I needed to splurge about. So to post this show every week with just a score, I dunno it just looks lazy, so I’d rather just tell you to WATCH IT and not make it seem like I’m just flippantly putting up a score, as if I don’t care about the show.
- But seriously, watch it if you haven’t already. It’s like Japanese Adult Swim material. It’s awesome!
Interest – 3/5 | Writing – 3/5 | Design – 3/5 | Comedy – 3/5 | TBD
OVERALL SCORE: C- (60%) ***DROPPED (BUT IT’S STILL GOOD!)***
- Well Vesta’s clearly a villain, there’s nothing redeeming about him when it comes to his ridiculous grudge against Kaijin.
- In the end, Vesta loses everything, as he should have. Despite his acknowledgment, there’s no forgiveness.
- Kaijin and company are exiled, so they will join Rimuru back to the Goblin Village. Shame, no more Elves for them.
- Or not, as the King is sending what looks like a sexy as fuck Elven assassin to follow them all. He compares Rimuru to Veldora. If only he knew…
Interest – 5/5 | Writing – 5/5 | Design – 5/5 | Comedy – 2/5 | Ecchi – 3/5
OVERALL SCORE: A- (80%)
- This Yui girl is annoying as fuck.
- Of course this show has an old pervert get arrested.
- Not gonna lie, this sports day skit is really, REALLY dumb.
- Turns out this show can have a bad episode.
Interest – 5/5 | Writing – 3/5 | Design – 5/5 | Comedy – 2/5 | Moe – 3/5 |
OVERALL SCORE: B- (72%)